Atlas Copco South Africa celebrated its 70th anniversary of its existence in the South African market on 7 September 2016.
The Atlas Copco success story in South Africa dates back some 124 years when in 1892 two brothers established a manufacturing company called Gebroeders Delfos (Delfos Brothers). The Pretoria-based company manufactured a variety of goods including printer process blocks and electric lighting plants but became renowned for its Delfos Jackhammer which steered the business into specialising in spare parts for rock drills.
In 1936, Delfos moved to Benoni, which in those years represented the core of South Africa’s mining industry. A decade later, Delfos formed an alliance with Swedish company AB Atlas Diesel and in 1956 Delfos Ltd. became Delfos & Atlas Copco (Pty) Ltd. Over the next 36 years the business grew to 375 employees with nine branches located throughout the country.
Today, Atlas Copco South Africa is regarded as a market leader in providing customers with sustainable productivity solutions by supplying premium mining, construction and industrial equipment and systems backed by specialist service support. The company employs more than 1 000 people and its extensive footprint stretches across the country.
Frans van Niekerk, vice president Holdings – Atlas Copco sub-Sahara region, is proud of the milestone. “Not only is it confirmation of doing the right things well in the successful delivery of sustainable productivity solutions but it also signifies our steadfast commitment to South Africa, our customers, suppliers, as well as our employees.”